Northeastern University International Travel

To learn more about Northeastern COVID-19 policies, travel support, and frequently asked questions please visit Northeastern’s International Travel website.

Insurance while Abroad

Health Insurance
You must maintain personal health insurance that is valid in your home country and abroad. You may be covered under a domestic health insurance plan with international coverage, or a supplemental international health insurance carrier. You are strongly encouraged to check with your current insurance carrier to see what kind of coverage is offered abroad. 

University-Provided Urgent and Emergency Coverage
Northeastern University maintains coverage to respond to costs associated with accidents and emergency/urgent illnesses.  This is not health insurance. For more details on this policy, please visit the international travel insurance website. 

Travel Insurance
You  are encouraged to research whether you would like additional insurance that covers loss of money due to trip interruption or cancellation, as well as loss of baggage and personal effects either while traveling or living in the student residence. 

Prescription Medication

Prior to your departure, discuss with your physician any prescription needs while studying abroad. 

Packing Prescription Medication 

Please note that not all medications may be available in England; if possible, make arrangements for bringing an entire semester’s worth of medication. You should pack prescription medications in carry-on luggage in your original containers with doctor documentation. 

Shipping Prescription Medication 

You should check the requirements for shipping medications with both the courier service as well as with British customs. In some cases, the recipients may need to pay a fee to receive the package. It is not uncommon for packages to be held up in customs because more information is needed for delivery to be completed.  

Safety Resources while Abroad

All Northeastern University students, faculty, and staff requiring medical, security, and travel assistance abroad can obtain assistance through the Northeastern Travel Support Network. Please contact the 24/7 international assistance hotline +1.857.214.5332 (international collect calls are accepted) to access support services provided by our partners, the Collinson Group and Crisis24, a GardaWorld company. They will also notify the International Safety Office of your call to provide an added layer of support. 

Please be sure to register your travel by visiting the GardaWorld Travel Security portal and log in with your Northeastern email and credentials. Once registered, download the mobile app by the same name to stay up to date on important travel safety related information. 

Northeastern Travel Registry 

Northeastern University requires all students to enter their travel itinerary and housing accommodations into “My Travel Plans” on the myNortheastern student portal also called the traveler registry. You should also enter any independent travel during the semester and make sure your contact information remains updated. 

More information can be found on Northeastern University’s international travel website. 

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) 

U.S. citizens can register their travel plans with the U.S. Embassy through the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. We strongly encourage you to register, as this is a free service that will allow the U.S. State Department to better assist citizens abroad in the event of an emergency. 

Additional Resources 

For more resources, visit the U.S. State Department, which provides information on safety for travelers abroad, including tips on handling money, traveling on public transportation, and safety in a hotel. 

Medical Disclosure

The Program does not require you to get a physical prior to departure, though it does require you to submit medical information in the General Enrollment Form to alert our staff of any medical conditions or allergies. This form will be included in your enrollment paperwork.