For a suggested packing list, please click here. Remember, whatever you pack, YOU will have to carry. Be conscious of the weight of your bags, since transporting them around the world on planes, trains, and buses will be difficult if you over-pack.
Note: Be sure pack person protective equipment including masks and hand sanitizer.
Preparation for Day of Travel
Students should be sure to:
- Bring your passport and visa (if applicable), as well as photocopies of each.
- Bring copies of documentation used to apply for your visa.
- Carry with you any additional documents provided by customs and immigration at the airport
- Record the serial numbers of important items that you are bringing with you (camera, laptop, iPhone, Kindle, etc.). This will be useful in case any items are lost or stolen. We recommend leaving a copy of these numbers with family members.
- Call bank and credit card companies to notify them that accounts will be accessed from a different country during the time spent abroad. We recommend making a photocopy of all credit and ATM cards to leave with family members in case the cards are lost or stolen.
N.U.in Italy students are encouraged to bring raincoats, an umbrella, and appropriate shoes for rain in case of wet weather in Rome. For the beginning of the fall semester, the weather will likely be pleasant and dry, but we recommend bringing clothes that can be layered and mixed and matched, since the weather will start to cool down in November and December.
An adapter is a device that allows American devices to plug into Italian outlets. You can purchase these at any electronics store. Consider purchasing a universal adapter for use outside Italy if you plan to travel.
The electricity supply in Italy is 220 to 240 volts. Check whether the electrical goods you plan to bring will work at this voltage. Some devices, such as hair straighteners and blow dryers, may require a converter.