WELCOME TO THE N.U.IN PROGRAM
Greetings to our newly admitted students and families.
The N.U.in team is hard at work preparing our website with information regarding the locations for fall 2023 and much more. Locations will be announced in February—stay tuned. In the meantime, we encourage you to explore the information below as you begin to learn about the N.U.in experience.
We’ll be providing a lot of information over the coming months, mostly through email. To ensure you and your family receive all of our communications, visit your Application Status Check to review, add, or update your contact information.
What is The N.U.in Program?
The N.U.in Program is one of Northeastern’s signature first-year experiences and truly embodies the university’s experiential approach to education. Launched in 2007, The N.U.in Program is rooted in our core belief that Northeastern students are curious, adaptable, and agile as they explore the world around them.
Through The N.U.in Program, students will have a rigorous academic experience intertwined with unique cultural and social opportunities outside of the classroom. Bolstered by a robust professional support system, this one-semester experience supports students’ growth as global citizens and fine-tunes the skills they need to navigate their future.
Students admitted to The N.U.in Program embark on a unique journey. You will study abroad in your first semester with other Northeastern first-year students at the N.U.in location of your choosing based on your major, age eligibility, and program capacity, and study on the Boston campus during your spring semester.
Your first-semester credits will be applied toward your degree program, and you will start the spring semester along with your fellow N.U.in alumni—more adaptable, more intellectually curious, and ready to jump into the next adventure. You will have the support of the larger Northeastern community, including a network of faculty, staff, advisors, and peers ready to support you.
How does The N.U.in Program Work?
The N.U.in Program is a one-semester global experience for first-year students. Hosted by the Global Experience Office, N.U.in students will be supported through enrollment processes such as gathering documents, course registration, and housing selection for the spring.
All students admitted to The N.U.in Program must submit two enrollment deposits. The first deposit is due at a date communicated to students via email, based on the binding or nonbinding nature of their admission. All students must submit their second deposit no later than June 1, 2023. Both deposits may be submitted through the Application Status Check.
N.U.in Program locations will be announced via email in February 2023 and made available for students to select. All locations are filled on a first-come, first-served basis based on a number of factors, such as capacity by major.* However, all N.U.in students are guaranteed a spot in a location compatible with their academic major. Once the locations are announced, students that have already deposited can select a location and lock in their spot. Students depositing after the location announcement will secure their spot as they place their deposit.
*Location selection is first-come, first-served by major to ensure all students are able to enroll in an academically compatible location. Select locations may also have restrictions or complications for certain nationalities based on the host country’s visa requirements.
Throughout their N.U.in experience, enrolled students will be supported by academic advisors from their academic college as well as other campus units.
How can I learn more about The N.U.in Program?
We are excited to support you and your family as you explore the incredible opportunities offered through The N.U.in Program and the university as a whole. Information will continue to be shared with you over the coming months. In the meantime, we encourage you to:
- Stay tuned to learn more about N.U.in admitted student events being hosted in the spring. Keep an eye on your Application Status Check for more information and to register for events.
- Follow @TheNUinProgram and @NUAdmissions on Instagram to connect with other N.U.in students and alumni and learn more about the student experience.
- Keep an eye on your inbox and mailbox for your N.U.in Admitted Student Guide and other important information.
Envisioning a Future with N.U.in
Studying abroad is a rewarding and enriching life experience. Imagine starting your undergraduate career in an exciting, global setting. It’s the opportunity of a lifetime.
Time spent traveling the world can be thrilling, but it can be challenging as well. Set yourself up for success by visiting our campus, speaking with N.U.in staff, and evaluating your own goals and feelings about studying abroad. As you picture your future as an N.U.in student, keep in mind:
- What steps can I take to prepare myself to adapt to living abroad for a semester next fall?
- What does my support structure look like? How can I anticipate what challenges I may face abroad and create a plan to tackle these challenges?
- Have I set goals for myself that might align with studying abroad early in my college career? How could studying abroad early on help me achieve my personal and academic goals?
- Am I financially prepared? How will I prepare for out-of-pocket expenses associated with study abroad? How will my decision to participate in N.U.in affect my financial planning during my time at Northeastern?
- Once site locations are announced, how will I decide which location is the best fit for me (academically and personally)?
Curious about costs and payment information?
Cost: Cost estimate information for fall 2023 locations will be provided when locations are announced in February. The cost for all N.U.in Program locations for fall 2022 was $37,750 (USD).
- This program fee generally includes: Tuition, housing, dedicated 24/7 support staff, group flight fare and coordination, pre-departure orientation, on-site orientation, group excursions, N.U.in-organized activities, and other site-specific activities.
- The program fee generally excludes: Visa fees, passport fees, independent travel expenses, some medical expenses, textbook, cell phones, and other personal expenses.
Financial Aid: While enrolled in The N.U.in Program, students that file for financial aid are considered for need-based Northeastern funding only. Grants, loans, and work awards from federal and state sources cannot be applied to the fall semester as The N.U.in Program is a pre-matriculated pathway to Northeastern. Students that qualify can use these financial options beginning in the spring semester.
For additional information regarding financial aid, deadlines, payment plans, and more, please visit the Student Financial Services website.
Ready to Enroll?
We’re excited that you’ll be joining us. Here are the next steps to deposit:
- Log into your Application Status Check. You will need to enter your NUID (a 9-digit number beginning with “00”) and your birthdate in order to log in.
- Select “N.U.in Deposit” under “Your Next Steps.”
- N.U.in requires two deposits to secure your spot:
- Nonrefundable enrollment Deposit 1—Due date communicated via email: $1,200
- Nonrefundable enrollment Deposit 2—Due 11:59 p.m. EDT, June 1, 2023: $2,500
- If you submit your deposit before the fall 2023 locations have been announced, you will be able to come back to make your location selection at a later time. If you submit your deposit after locations have been announced, you will make your location selection when you submit your deposit. Please keep in mind that location availability is based on capacity, and locations are filled on a first-come, first-served basis based on a number of factors, such as college or major compatibility once they’ve been announced.
- While the final deadline for selecting a location is the deposit deadline of May 1, students and families who have been admitted early decision and have particular interest in a certain site are advised to deposit as soon as possible to avoid disappointment—sites can fill very quickly after selection opens.
Still have questions?
We’re happy to connect with you. Please reach out to us directly at [email protected] or +1.617.373.6447.
If you are looking for employment opportunities for fall 2023, staff positions will be posted in early 2023. If you have questions about this, please contact [email protected].
If you are an alumnus looking for details on requesting a transcript or other information, please contact [email protected].